DetikForum

DetikForum (http://forum.detik.com/index.php)
-   English Only (http://forum.detik.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Discuss your grammar & vocabulary here (http://forum.detik.com/showthread.php?t=31717)

Ocim 31st March 2008 19:39

Discuss your grammar & vocabulary here

(I wish admin or mod will stick this thread)

For those who want to ask about grammar & vocabulary, just post it here and let us discussed it together. Any kind of question, especially from your English class (in case you're still in High School or college)

Eventhough I speak English everyday, I wonder about the usage of "has/have been", "had been" and "was".
They have similar purpose to refer the finished thing in the past.
What the difference ?

Sometimes it confuse me.:speachless:

lets begin :cheers:

tukangcucipiring_13 31st March 2008 19:47

hmm...has/have been is used when the activity(es) may proceed to some time in the future, so it doesn't really end.

Ocim 31st March 2008 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tukangcucipiring_13 (Post 1672916)
hmm...has/have been is used when the activity(es) may proceed to some time in the future, so it doesn't really end.

I know that.
I am asking about the usage and the difference with others that I mentioned above.Theoretically, I think it is understandable but please give me some examples to make it clear.

tukangcucipiring_13 31st March 2008 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocim (Post 1672974)
I know that.
I am asking about the usage and the difference with others that I mentioned above.Theoretically, I think it is understandable but please give me some examples to make it clear.

hehe, it would be lengthy... it's easier if we have a blackboard and a chalk...

jamily10 31st March 2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocim (Post 1672974)
I know that.

maybe you can get it with this example:

I has been worked in this company for ten years (in this case, maybe you are finish working with this company or maybe not, likecucipiring said it's not really end)

CMIIW

I was born in jakarta (in this case you are really born once and never will be born again, so it really has end)

Ocim 31st March 2008 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamily10 (Post 1673026)
maybe you can get it with this example:

I has been worked in this company for ten years (in this case, maybe you are finish working with this company or maybe not, likecucipiring said it's not really end)

CMIIW

I was born in jakarta (in this case you are really born once and never will be born again, so it really has end)

that can me understood ...

walkman 1st April 2008 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocim (Post 1672856)
Eventhough I speak English everyday, I wonder about the usage of "has/have been", "had been" and "was".
What the difference ?

"has" is one of past perfect tense with subject : "she", "he" or "it"
Exp. He has finished his work
"have" past perfect with subject : "I", "You", "We", "They"
Exp. They have gone at 6 am this morning

"was" is used for single subject (actually almost similar with has), but the subject for this word : "I", "she", "he", "it" (we can say as singular subject). This word can be used for passive activities for the subject
Exp. She was sick (not active verb)
Exp. The laptop was repaired by my brother (passive activities for the subject)
=> or in opposite sentences My brother repaired the laptop

You also can use "was" for explaining any activities still happen in the past
Exp. My brother was playing football when i arrived at the stadium

"were" similar condition with "was" but for plural subject (we, they, members, etc)
Exp. These experiments were assisted by the technician (passive activities for the subject)
or in opposite sentences, the technician assisted these experiments

That's all my explanation, it is little bit difficult to explain about "had" eventough the usage almost similar with has/have (past perfect)

ms_pitt 1st April 2008 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocim (Post 1672856)
(I wish admin or mod will stick this thread)

For those who want to ask about grammar & vocabulary, just post it here and let us discussed it together. Any kind of question, especially from your English class (in case you're still in High School or college)

What the difference ?

Sometimes it confuse me.:speachless:

lets begin :cheers:

Hi Ocim....

---> Was/Were is form of Past Progressive/Continous. Ussually, this tense is used to :
1. put emphasis on the course of an action in the past
Example: He was playing football.

2. explain two actions happening at the same time (in the past)
Example: While she was preparing dinner, he was washing the dishes.

3. describe an action going on at a certain time in the past
Example: When I was having breakfast, the phone suddenly rang.

The signal word of Past Progressive : when, while, as long as

---> Has/Have been is form of Present perfect Progressive/Continous. The use of this tense are as follows :
1. put emphasis on the duration or course of an action (not the result)
Example: She has been writing for two hours.

2. describe an action that recently stopped or is still going on
Example: I have been living here since 2001.

3. Explain finished action that influenced the present
Example: I have been working all afternoon.

The signal word of Present Perfect Progressive : all day, for 4 years, since 1993, how long?, the whole week

---> Had been is form of Past Perfect Progressive/COntinous. The use of this tense :
1. Describe an action taking place before a certain time in the past
Example : I had been working since you were born

2. Putting emphasis on the duration or course of an action
You had been playing all day

The signal word of Past Perfect Progressive : for, since, the whole day, all day

bebek_panggang 2nd April 2008 08:49

hi every body,i want to ask how to use THE...

Ocim 2nd April 2008 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebek_panggang (Post 1690928)
hi every body,i want to ask how to use THE...

the —adj. (called the definite article) 1 denoting person(s) or thing(s) already mentioned, under discussion, implied, or familiar (gave the man a wave). 2 describing as unique (the Thames). 3 a (foll. by defining adj.) which is, who are, etc. (Edward the Seventh). b (foll. by adj. used absol.) denoting a class described (from the sublime to the ridiculous). 4 best known or best entitled to the name (with the stressed: do you mean the Kipling?). 5 indicating a following defining clause or phrase (the book that you borrowed). 6 a indicating that a singular noun represents a species etc. (the cat is a mammal). b used with a noun which figuratively represents an occupation etc. (went on the stage). c (foll. by the name of a unit) a, per (5p in the pound). —adv. (preceding comparatives in expressions of proportional variation) in or by that (or such a) degree; on that account (the more the merrier; the more he has the more he wants).