View Single Post
Old 21st July 2011, 22:26
massive13
Addict Member

massive13 is a new comer

@ stayalert, yes KF-X will be one of our future AF lifeline, but not in near future, remember that the original timeline is to have a flying prototype by 2020, not an operational a/c, so it will take at least another decade to have a fully operational KF-X in our AF inventories. And the idea to operate bomber isn't really a feasible option for us. The only type of bomber in service today by modern AF is strategic bomber, hence the name 'strategic', its not a technology can be own by all AF. If what you mean is to have medium bomber (like chinese Xian H-6), let me tell you that to operate medium sized bomber is an obsolete tactics. e.g. Chinese AF start to retire their older H-6 fleet and replace them with Su-30 series because Su-30 can achive roughly the same range and firepower compared to H-6, with the aditional bonus of survivability and accuracy. So for us, just like Vympel said, having several squad of well armed flanker can pack more punch than using bomber.

@vympel, thanks for your explanation, so RTAF is not having any plan to operate high-power a/c (flanker,eagle class of fighter) and stick to light fighter? And i saw the same problem with the spec of SIGMA class corvette when it first launch. As i dig in more thoroughly on the matter, i came up to a statement that SIGMA is classified as ocean-going patrol vessel, so the reason of it being lightly armed is may because it never intended to do long-haul trip. In my opinion, a fairly capable ship for TNIAL now is atleast to be armed with SAM in the class of Aster 15, SSM with range in excess of 100 km with sea skimming capabilities, and CIWS (gun based like phalanx or missile based like RAM). With this kind of firepower, TNIAL can equal the threat posed by any neighbouring country (not only malaysia, but australia as well)

Back to the RMAF, so the one that they'll buy is the two seat F/A-18F superhornet version. if that so, i say that RMAF superbugs will be emphasized to do more of ground attack role, and maybe, EW role (learning from RAAF who include an option of rewiring their brand new F/A-18F to EA-18G growler standard). And with the latest avionics and radar (AESA, etc), RMAF will have a complete and modern a/c package.
My questions are vympel, will the US congress men let RMAF to buy new smart weapons such as the JDAM? Or even worse, will they let RMAF buy stand-off weaponry like JSOW, JASSM, or SLAM? Because if they do, then our armed force will have no defence against that kind of weaponry. RMAF a/c can simply fire their ordnance without even have to worry of us firing back.